My Kit - Present & Future

When I was first in loaner gear, I was wearing a sweatshirt and soccer shin guards on my arms to fit into the vambraces. At various practices, I was wearing Else's leg harness, and a helm that barely fit my melon.
When someone tells you that a comfortable and well fitted kit is important, you listen to them, dammit!

Feargus mac Airt had some gorgeous armor when I was attending Canale fighter practices. Wax-hardened leather. Bazubands, "shovel" greaves, a coat of scales, and a scale mantle on his gorget. All of his leather was from Torvaldr's Leatherworks (www.skaldic.com)
I knew I didn't want a coat of plates, and a leg harness that hung from my hips. I didn't want to clang around in metal.
I wanted a Torvaldr kit. I knew what I did and didn't want in a kit.
I ordered a made to order Norman Conical helm from Windrose Armoury (www.windrosearmoury.com).

Vesta in the background, overseeing practice.
Gorgeous November fall colors in Myrtleholt.

I frequently get comments on my kit's appearance. The follow-up question is always "Did you make it?", and I must confess I am a bit ashamed to admit that I didn't. But I didn't feel like spending years and thousands of dollars in figuring the best method to bake the leather, what combination of waxes works best for varying temperatures, etc. I knew what I wanted.
I love the shape, but would like some brass banding, a la Brand's helm. 
But now, I want something a bit different. Don't get me wrong, the kit is beautiful, but I feel that it isn't as appropriate to period late dark ages (my persona time frame). Specifically its the coat of scales being leather that bothers me the most. A cutting weapon would be able to slice right through any part of my leather kit.

What I want is a lorica squamata, Roman scale armor. Particularly, I'm looking to have a vest of aluminum scales, with a maille Haubergeon underneath. This is my primary change. I also want a dark ages helm, something similar to Visc. Brand McClellan's (minus the animal tail). I like the shape of Windrose Armoury's "dark age" helm as well.
With a more "period" kit, would be low profile and hidden leg armor. I'm liking the look of the "wingless knees" that Windrose Armoury has. My main concern is thigh protection that is low profile, in order to fit under "fighter pants". I'm also liking the look of some splint greaves that sit below the knee (I'm paranoid about my shins).
I'll then keep my leather pauldrons and a single spaulder, the bazubands
, and my gorget with a leather plated mantle (for my shoulders).

As for a shield, I'm wanting to try out a 30" diameter center-grip round. I've recently been inspired by Magnus Ulfarsson in that regard, whose videos I've found on youtube (www.youtube.com/magnuswyvern). I'm thoroughly impressed by his ability to apply the Five D's of Dodgeball to heavy fighting, especially for being 6'5".

No comments:

Post a Comment