Reassessment

Perhaps I'll recap some of the activity I've missed in not writing here. I've had some negative experiences on (or more accurately, near) the field, and I'd rather try to focus on the positives of Egil's.

I've made many changes in the past four months since I've posted here.
The immediate things on my mind:
I've began dialogue with Visc Sir Gabriel of Adiantum with the prospect of working together. I've realized that approaching a working relationship with a knight is something that must be done tentatively, and I was foolhardy and had my priorities misaligned when I first approached a knight over a year ago, and it turned out to be a poor match. The Path isn't something one can rush, and certainly not with an ill-advised mismatch.
I got burned out at West-An Tir War. Spending ~$200 and to not enjoy myself at all was a major downer, and I seriously considered just leaving the SCA. But it occurred to me that I need to make the SCA what I want it to be, and for me that is courtesy, honor, and sincerity, I want to share this version of the Dream with others, and I feel it is something that isn't a focus in this area. And with this change of disposition I've also begun expanding my friendships created in the society, rather than focusing on a select few individuals.

Practices and pell work have been interfered by a change in work schedule and fires here in Oregon causing terrible smoke. The latter is improving, so I can manage to work there, but presently I feel that what will allow me to progress in my Path is in-kit practice against other fighters, and assess my errors and deficiencies and work to correct/improve them.
Just today I put together a new 35" sword done with a 1.5" planked piece. And of all the sticks I've put together, it feels the best balanced, and weighted, especially compared to the monstrously heavy 2" plank I've been using.

My focus in fighting is currently: speed through proper mechanics, creating openings, employing measure as primary defense.

And because I get a lot of hits for image searches, here's a picture of June Investiture's Principality Defender Tourney. With some sweet lefty-on-lefty action (there were like five of us in the tourney!). Thorfinnius was probably my favorite fight that day.
And here's me, being hot and annoyed with format bungling at Egil's.

No comments:

Post a Comment